3.07.2009

very boring post for today.

Well, three weeks have passed and the good news is all three of us are still alive. Claire is still amazing and still very, very teeny. I have been breastfeeding for the past three weeks... definitely the most difficult thing I have ever done in my life, but I was very set on trying and firmly believed I would be able to get over the hump and make it work. Unfortunately, Claire hasn't gained weight like she should. She is still under her birth weight and only gained one ounce all last week. It is so frustrating, because we have been trying so hard to make this work and I wanted to be able to feed her so badly. It's particulary frustrating because she seems hydrated (giving us enough wet and dirty diapers everyday, nursing for a good amount of time, acting full) but she clearly isn't getting enough. It's not that I think she is going to die or be less intelligent if she isn't breastfed... but formula stinks and costs and I really enjoyed having her all to myself for feeding times. However, her gaining weight and being healthy is far more important than some stinky spit up stains or my selfish desires to feed her, so for the past 24 hours she has been on formula. We have another doctors appointment next week with a specialist, and I am trying to keep my supply up by pumping until then and see what he says. Even if I have to pump and bottle feed, I would rather do that than stinky old formula.

We finally moved into our house this week. It is so fun to wake up and feel like you are at your own home, not some apartment we'll be leaving next semester. Chris and I upgraded to a king bed, which is a dream, and Claire just sleeps in a Pack-n-play in our room. She is about as good as can be expected during the night. Because she needs to gain weight we have to wake her up every three hours, but that is about her schedule anyway. Chris is so helpful, in fact, last night (since it was her first night on formula) he grabbed the middle of the night shift, and I don't even remember waking up. I guess that is the advantage of bottle feeding. His parents get into town tonight, which will be so nice. I can't wait for them to meet Claire. I wish I had the house looking better but I have sort of had my hands full.

Right now she's all curled up on my chest--- could this be the best thing in the world? She is hardly ever set down, but I don't care... she is only this little once and I am going to soak it all in, even if it seems I'm "spoiling" her. This picture is from last night when she met her Uncle Hank.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Taylor I feel for ya girl. Joc wasn't gaining weight either so I pumped to keep up my supply and gave her some formula. You can also do what they did in the NICU which is to add a scoop of formula to your breast milk and then they get a lot more calories per feeding. I had to do this with Joc till she was about 4 months old...so I gave up and went to formula. Tide works great, I think I only have 3-4 outfits that were stained really bad...invest in a lot of bibs and burp rags. Glad Chris' parents are coming, let them do some of the bottle feedings so you can just pump and get in some sleep. She looks so precious! You all sound like you are doing great!

Alicia Steere said...

You are right, you can't spoil those babies! :) Hold her all day everday because they just get older and more dependent. It goes by SO fast (keenan is now 6 months old) and you don't know where that little baby went! About the breastfeeding...keep up the pumping. I hope that she will start to gain weight soon so you can at least do a couple of feedings here and there while she is on formula. Hang in there! It is such an amazing bonding experience! :) She is still just as adorable as ever and HOORAY for being in your house! We are excited for you guys!!!

Mark and Kimmi said...

sorry to be the bad guy but you two SERIOUSLY have to put more photos up of your cute new daughter! these one or two here and there just aren't cutting it!!! We need to see this child! Anyway enough ranting, I'm glad to hear you moved into the house. Congrats! I am Jealous though, Kimmi and I want a King sized bed one day. sadly at the moment our Master bedroom wouldn't be able to hold it and still look good.

L said...

I'm so excited for y'all! And I have no advice on anything to do with being a mom, but I'm sure you're doing great. And she is probably the cutest baby ever. Have fun with Chris' parents this week!

Courtney M said...

Oh Taylor she is so sweet and you are such a cute mommy! You hold that little baby all day long and don't feel even a little bit bad about it! Pretty soon she will be walking and punching you in the face :)

Unknown said...

Taylor I love the way you write about being a mom!! You're so honest yet loving.
And I love seeing pictures of her. She is such a doll.

Erinn said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this blog thanks for sharing