3.04.2012

Walt Disney World Trip... 2018?

Well, I've managed to waste almost an entire Sunday planning a Walt Disney World trip that we are years away from ever being able to take. You might call this a waste of time, but there is so much to imaginary plan, I'm overwhelmed just thinking about this potential trip... even if I do have five or six or seven years to worry about it.
First you have about a hundred hotels to choose from. Do I want to sit on my balcony and watch giraffes graze? Bunker down in a log cabin? Channel my Grammy at the Grand Floridian? If all else fails, we can throw up a tent at the campground. That should ensure us ample personal space by day two or three, when we really start to stink. And then there are the restaurants. Just as my mind starts to comprehend the number of hotels to choose from, I stumble upon a list of about two thousand restaurants within the park. And the dining plan, and which restaurants qualifies for the dining plan,and do I need two table service meals or one per day, and pretty soon I'm wanting to contact a travel agent and then...

I remember it is just pretend.

But seriously, there must be a lot of people out there willing to spend a lot of money. WDW vacations don't come cheap. And sort of like Las Vegas, it amazes me that they are able to run so many hotels and, presumably, keep them relatively filled.

And it makes me really appreciate my parents, who took us to Walt Disney World and the beautiful Grand Floridian when I was probably ten. At least, I was still rocking the teal glasses, so I would guess about ten. They took me to eat with Winnie the Pooh, and I was over the moon. The folks of the Hundred-Acre Wood were by far my favorite at the time, which makes me think I was kind of a late bloomer. I also recall dining at a the Teppanyaki place in Epcot, and a funnel cake purchased in front of a Christmas symphony. Apparently my fascination and memory association with all things food started early. Anyway, Mom and Dad, that trip was pretty awesome, and I can only imagine how stressful it was to plan before the internet. So, thank you.

1 comment:

Darci Buhl said...

I'm really just happy that I'm not the only person who spends ridiculous amounts of time planning fake vacations. Dang travelzoo emails get me every.single.week.