4.13.2009

I worry about what the world is coming to when I get a washingtonpost.com news alert about the Obama's dog. Really? Really, does that warrant "breaking news?" Am I the only one that finds this frightening? Or how about when my president, in a display of his immaturity and unceasing desire to appear "cool" gives the Queen of England an ipod, and all the media outlets report it in praise of his "hipness." Or how he preceeds to make a mockery of the United States throughout his entire European tour, and thinks we are stupid enough to believe that WASN'T a bow (and quite frankly, I don't care, but don't lie about it.) How about when he equates his bowling skills to the Special Olympics (on Leno, no less), and every media outlet defends him? Why is he on Leno in the first place? I don't need my President to be a "celebrity." How about when the first lady, apparently very proud of her upper body, wears impractical sleeveless dresses all winter and is hailed as a fashion icon? Really, or is she just in cahoots with J-Crew to make bland clothing a national phenonema? How about when Biden's daughter is caught on tape snorting cocaine, and the story dies in a day? Remember when the Bush twins got caught with a fake ID?

Here's the interesting bit: I didn't get a washingtonpost.com email about the Navy SEALS saving Captain Richard Phillips from Somali pirates yesterday, which I think actually warranted breaking news. The media has become obssessed with this superhero of a president they created during the election, and that is what is actually frightening. The fact that people really do care about the dog, about her dress, about their love life--- that is frightening. Take off the rose-colored glasses and take a step back. If any of the gaffes the President has made thus far happened to anyone else, they would be discussed for weeks. Instead, I'd be surprised to see them show up on the obnoxious scrolling ticker.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Amen Sister!

Kiana Hayden said...

Right on Taylor! I'm with you 100%! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I hear the news. How about his guilt trip to the nation saying that families are doing the wrong thing by cutting back on spending and that's the reason why the government has to increase spending?!?! Last time I checked, no one ever spent their way out of debt.