11.18.2008

Today I went to eat lunch by myself because I was craving Olive Garden breadsticks and I think the restaurant is gross, thus it only makes sense for pay for the 6 dollar soup/salad/breadsticks combo available at lunch rather than go order an icky entree for dinner just for the breadsticks...

Anyway, I feel pretty secure eating alone. I don't see how it's a big deal. We all eat, and we aren't always in the company of another human being. However, my waiter apparently thought it was awkward, because he refused to make eye contact with me the entire time he was serving me. And I use serving lightly... he walked up behind my back (again, avoiding eye contact) ten minutes after I was seated, said, "What can I get you?", scurried off, brought me the food, and avoided any further contact with me throughout the rest of my dining experience.

The worst part is: I would have eaten about twenty more breadsticks, but since my waiter thought I was a leper, I didn't dare ask for more.

Am I that weird in that I think dining alone is perfectly acceptable? And if I am, may I suggest we change that, because sometimes when cravings strike and you're all alone, there just isn't an option.

4 comments:

Kiana Hayden said...

I enjoy eating alone or going to movies by myself. Its nice because you can get/do what you want without someone else complaining if they're not in the same mood as you are. Its totally normal. And you should have tripped/slapped your waiter for being a dork.

Unknown said...

I agree that its perfectly ok to go eat and see movies by yourself. sadly because it is shuned in our western society it usually just feels weird when I do it. I remember when I was eating at PF changs by myself while at a work training in phoenix i ended up having to ask for a news paper so I had something to do. I was quite bored. and I just felt like I should be doing something. ounce again probably because of the brainwashing we all experience while growing up. viva la alone time!!

Kathryn e. said...

I have a hard time eating alone...and I am the one that feels bad for the person eating alone, but I will work on changing that! I also only go to Olive Garden for the soup/salad/breadsticks...I don't think anything else on the menu is worth the money, but I do get a side of alfredo sauce just to make more healthy!

Katie I. said...

I respectfully disagree. Thats weird. You are weird. Don't do it again. It makes people uncomfortable.