12.08.2009



I realized yesterday how much easier my life will be if I can get Claire weaned off bottles by the time we go on our cruise. That gives me a little less than two weeks. She has been taking sippy cups well for a while, though she prefers a straw, but not a FULL serving of milk like she will a bottle. We are now down to a bottle with breakfast at 7:30, with lunch at 11:30, after nap at about 4:00 and with dinner at about 6. Since she is finally predictable, I am starting to feel like I can REALLY do this. Does anyone have any tips? She likes the sippy, but I can tell her annoys her when it hits her nose, and I don't blame her. She also tends to suck out more than she can swallow, and nothing annoys me more than seeing the precious milk I have rationed in the freezer go pouring down her chin! Any advice is greatly appreciated!

4 comments:

j cubed said...

Hey Taylor, it's Figgy. Jackson loved this sippy cup http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=95242&catid=26965&aid=337953&aparam=munchkin_dora_the_explor&CAWELAID=61283482

It was great because it had the straw and it was constricted to not allow to much milk out at once. Plus it didn't leak when it fell over. We have bought so many stinking sippy cups that spilled when they tip over.

My doctor also said it is better to have a straw because it prevents speech impediments.

I hope this helps.

Hugs!

Fig

Liz said...

It sounds like she's still taking a lot of bottles. I'd consider cutting back the number of bottles per day first. What's the advantage of the sippy cups on the cruise? Are you switching to regular milk as well?

Our kids were only taking two bottles toward the year mark and I just traded the sippy cup out for the bottle. The ones I use can leak if turned over(the disposable ones at WalMart), but we don't really take them outside the house. They let their contents come out easier where the ones that don't leak are kinda hard to suck from.

I did get one from WalMart that had a straw and that could be your answer. It has a lid that flips over the straw to stop it from leaking.

Hope you figure it out and have fun on the cruise!

Katie I. said...

I know I'm not washing out those stupid bottles on the cruise. Count me out. That little girl better master the sippy cup in the next 9 days. Much love.

Anonymous said...

Taylor, if she is still taking a bottle, you can take your dirty bottles to dinner and give them to your waiter. He will take them to the kitchen, have them washed and sterilized and bring them back to you. We have done this on two different cruise lines 3 times. I also kept a thing of dish liquid in our bathroom with a bottle brush and things were just fine. Also, you can take your bottles to the food deck and ask them to wash them right then and they'll return them to you right away. They are happy to make you happy in any way that they can...so if she wants her bottles and it makes her happy...take her bottles. If you don't want to mess with bottles, switch her to the playtex disposable insert bottles and then you don't have to worry about as much sterilizing...as far as sippy cups go...I have tried everything and I mean everything at babies-r-us...nothing is perfect. Some of them don't leak...but the child gets so frustrated because the milk comes out soooo slow. Some leak if tipped over, but they can actually draw milk without getting lock-jaw. My favorite so far is actually the one you have in the picture of this post. So cheap and disposable if you don't have time or the means to wash them. If Claire needs an easy one to use...ie if she hasn't really done many other than a bottle, try the nubby...they leak if knocked over but are soft like the nipple on a bottle. good luck and enjoy your cruise. If you haven't already, make sure you order to have a crib in your cabin when you get there...they are a nice size and they change her sheets everyday. don't forget to take a night light if she is used to one because the cabins can get pitch black. if you have any questions let me know...we've done this a few times with the twins...